Re: [LAU] OT: isolating transformers, redux

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 28 2010 - 13:11:38 EET

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 11:12:48AM +0000, linuxdsp wrote:
> Ken Restivo wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 07:49:26AM +0000, Folderol wrote:

>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> I think some people are totally missing the point. The O/P has already said he
>>> doesn't want to spend a lot of money as the kit he's connecting to is only of
>>> moderate quality.
>>>
>>> I don't know if the links I suggested to Ken are any good (whether he's able to
>>> buy from those people) but I asked 'someone who knows'(tm) about these things
>>> and was told that the 'Oxford' transformers are more than adequate for the job.
>>>

>> Thanks!
>>
>> Yes, I obtained a pair of cheap telephone isolating transformers from Radio Shack. And it works! Yay! US$8 total.
>>
>> It is indeed specced for 300-5000Hz, but it seems pretty flat when run with a short (1 foot or so) wire. But, I'm noticing a lot of high-end rolloff with a 20-foot wire. Are there any components I could add to combat this?
>
> This is why you need transformers that are properly designed for the use
> you intend to put them to. It might seem like a cheaper option to buy
> anything you can find that looks like it might work, but this is often a
> false economy. It might be better to consider if the problem you want
> to solve can be achieved without resorting to transformers of any kind.
> I suspect that you will find the response (even into a foot or so of
> wire) is very far from flat.

Well, fine, but, it's a moot point since I don't have any money. If "properly designed" == "expensive" (and it usually does), then it's a non-starter for me.

I am trying to make the best I can out of the cheapest components available. So far, so good. This will do just fine. I'll experiment with some damping resistors and see how that works. If not, good enough for now.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

-ken