Re: [LAU] (double) bass samples for Linuxsampler

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 30 2010 - 00:11:52 EET

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 12:39 PM, Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> I'm curious, what formats currently dominate the Windows sampler worlds ?
>> Are any of them open-source formats ?
>>

> It's a guess on my part Dave but I think the two I suggested I'd buy:
> EXS24 and Kontakt. I have no idea if either is Open Source. Different
> vendors do support them so there must be some spec for it. Bardstown
> supports lots of formats. How can a 1 guy company do that without open
> specs?

Thanks, Mark. I'm pretty sure that Kontakt's native file format is
proprietary, but a Google search didn't help much. Kontakt itself is
able to load/play a variety of formats, correct ?

>> Also, in your opinion is SFZ/SF2 a decent replacement for GIG ?
>>

> No idea what those are? Some sort of Sound Font derivative?

Apparently. See Andrew's response. :)

>>> All my samplers are Windows-based so I don't face these issues.
>>>

>> Until they die too. :)
>>

> Yeah, and I'd happily go with an Open Source sampler if there was an
> Open Source sampler. LS isn't and I don't know of an alternative. I
> use what I use because it works and it's long since paid for and not
> necessarily because I want to.

I know, I'm just ribbin' ya. My MIDI sequencer of choice is a
closed-source DOS program, feel free to give me the same ribs. :)

Best,

dp