Re: [LAU] (double) bass samples for Linuxsampler

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 31 2010 - 22:16:29 EET

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 09:21:30AM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 12:53 AM, Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > I saw Soulive a few weeks ago (doing research, since I am now a left-hand-keyboard-bass-player). He was playing a Mac laptop running something called Trillian (not the IM client). It sounded like a bass. But he rolled off all the highs and high-mids, probably a habit formed early in his career when the bass samples available weren't that great, and which is kind of his signature sound.
>
> soulive? the trio? holy god, the bass parts that their keyboard/organ
> player pulls off are unreal. "Dig" from their eponymous album is
> astounding in this respect (to me, at least).

Yes, that Soulive. Awesome show. They opened with "Steppin", and then went from there. They did a Beatles medley, which was fun too. Then Karl Denson came out and did a second set with them, and then Nigel Hall came out and sang the last part of the set too.

A good time was had by all. I spent a lot of time over by stage left, studying what the keyboard/bass player was doing. Which was, mostly, keeping the keyboard parts simple, and going bananas on bass instead.

This is what he was using for a bass sound:
http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/trilian.php

-ken