Re: [LAU] [ANN] tschack-0.120.1 and PyJackd-0.1.0

From: Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden-hochschule.de>
Date: Sat Jan 01 2011 - 18:35:14 EET

On 12/31/2010 10:03 PM, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> Excerpts from torbenh's message of 2010-12-30 16:30:33 +0100:
>
> Means for a user?

that a suitably parallel jack graph will use more than one cpu core,
which is a major win.

backend switching means you can change the backend at runtime without
having to tear down your jack graph, which is also very practical in
some situations. (haven't tried it yet, but iiuc you can move from ffado
to alsa backend or between different alsa-supported cards.)

> Async (jack2?) has a latency penalty?

when you want clickless connections, yes, afaik.

> I guess most users don't know very much about the technical details of
> the jack implementations.

which is good in principle (since it seems to just work), but kind of
implies we are lacking documentation. check out the jackaudio wiki,
torben in particular has been very active there. the wiki seems to be
known little, but there's a link from the jackaudio front page.