Re: [LAU] Sample converters

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 02 2011 - 22:23:05 EET

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Dominic Sacré <dominic.sacre@gmx.de> wrote:
> On Sunday 02 January 2011 19:36:51 rosea.grammostola wrote:
>> On 01/02/2011 06:46 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
>> > the previous email mentioned a program that is an example of a
>> > sample file format converter. what the program mentioned above
>> > does is something to handle loading of instrument plugins by
>> > programs that don't support a particular plugin API (in this case,
>> > VSTi). VSTi is not a sample file format like GIG or SFZ - its a
>> > plugin API. the two are not in any possible sense equivalent to
>> > each other.
>>
>> Thanks for clarification. Of course I suspected that it would be very
>> hard to convert VST1, but I dropped it anyways... You never know
>> what's possible these days ;)
>
> Well, according to its manual, Extreme Sample Converter can "convert"
> VSTi to GIG and other sample formats. But this works simply by recording
> the plugin's audio output for a certain number of notes, velocities,
> etc.
> This kind of conversion works reasonably well for some instruments, but
> many will suffer significantly from the limitations of sampled formats.
> There's no way to change a synth's settings in a sampled instrument, and
> a lot of detail and nuances of the original sound will be lost.
>
> That said, you can do basically the same thing on Linux using Synthclone
> (http://code.google.com/p/synthclone/).
>

> Dominic

That's basically how all the Sampletekk sampled synth gig files worked
in GigaStudio. I own about a dozen old synths sampled in this manner.
True, I cannot program my 'Arp Soline' or my 'Mellotron', but the
folks who recorded it recorded 30 or 40 different settings and I get
the basic sounds without the electrical usage or space consumption.

- Mark