Re: [LAU] Ardour and xrun markers

From: lanas <lanas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 05 2011 - 14:19:18 EET

Le Mercredi, 05 Janvier 2011 12:34:50 +0100,
Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@folkwang-hochschule.de> a écrit :

> On 01/05/2011 01:43 AM, lanas wrote:
> > Le Mercredi, 05 Janvier 2011 00:23:52 +0100,
>
> >> quoting myself here because i'm lazy:
> >> [...]
> >> (from an editorial in econtact magazine,
> >> http://cecpublic.pbworks.com/w/page/13063882/OpensourceEditorial)
> >
> > That one I did not get. The article has nothing to do with xruns
> > and/or upgrades.

> oh, the only relevant secion was just what i actually quoted,

Sorry, I had the fold-quoted-text option toggled on and did not see it !

> about
> how, yes, upgrading is a pain, but it's kind of important in order to
> stay in touch with development and the community. for me, the
> equation of open source is: you buy the software by contributing
> time, not money. (and incidentally, you're likely to get a much
> better deal, but i still maintain there are types of users for whom
> buying a mac with commercial software is just a better option).

Absolutely. After all, it is not everyone that has the interest and
time to pursue this although Linux distros have surely made it quite
easy by now to use.

I recently bought Windows 7 for our children to play games and I am not
seeing a terrible problem with Linksys 64-bit wireless drivers not
working. And I paid for it. And I have to spend research time to fix
it. So in this case it's really a loss ! :-) And in this regard, Linux
is faring very well.

I still am reluctant to upgrade when everything works well although now
that's at least two years (Fedora 8) I haven't done so and since things
changes quite fast in Open Source as bugs are fixed and features added,
I am now considering it.

I'd like to thank Fons for mentionning ArchLinux. I used to build my
own Linux system - and would like to go back to that - although in the
meanwhile ArchLinux seems to be quite close philosophically to this, as
well as the side project Chakra Linux, which is ArchLinux + KDEmod.

About what Ken has mentioned: well, it's up to the individual to
upgrade or not after all. ArchLinux is a rolling release type of thing
but that does not mean that I have to update daily. Or monthly. Or
even yearly. It's up to me. And as with Ken, I tend to prefer things
when they work ;-)