Re: [LAU] creating surround DVDs on linux?

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 13 2011 - 13:59:08 EET

On 01/13/2011 11:32 AM, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> hi *!

Hi Joern,

> i'm trying to get a couple home-spun surround mixes out to friends and
> customers. i wonder: is there a way to author dvds under linux with dts
> audio tracks?

The dvd authoring tool /should/ not care what data you give it.
I like `dvdauthor` but takes some learning writing its XML format;
the `devede` GUI can create them for you.

ffmpeg can encode ac3/dts - well, check
   `ffmpeg -formats` and `ffmpeg -codecs` on your box.
ffmpeg versions differ greatly.

> ac3 won't really suffice in terms of sound quality.

You do realize that you can also just use raw PCM for audio on DVDs:
48 kHz or 96 kHz, 16 or 24 bit, 2-6 channels; but only up to 6144 kbit/s

> better yet, i'd like to use five uncompressed pcm streams, and the
> wikipedia article on dvd-video seems to indicate it's possible

oh, you did realize :)

> - has anyone done it

stereo PCM: yes. 5chan: no

> and will consumer dvd players handle it?

I use 'ogle' http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/dvd/ to test DVD iso
images. It does not use any big frameworks like ffmpeg or gstreamer for
the decoding and besides supporting DVD-menus it usually only plays what
will also play on a hardware DVD player.

robin

--
Robin Gareus
web: http://gareus.org/                mail: robin@gareus.org