Re: [LAU] [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

From: Leigh Dyer <lsd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 14 2011 - 04:47:44 EET

On 14/01/11 13:15, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> On 01/14/2011 12:59 AM, Leigh Dyer wrote:
>
>> Perhaps this is a question for Fons, but do you know if this plugin has
>> the same issue that stand-alone jconvolver has with JACK's freewheeling
>> mode? It'd be great to have Ardour exports continue to work as expected
>> while using this plugin.
>
> what is this issue, btw? i've seen the warning message countless times,
> but never found a problem with the audio after exporting from ardour in
> freewheeling mode...

Fons has discussed it in the past on the list -- here's a link:

http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2009-December/065259.html

To quickly summarise that, the convolution engine uses multiple CPU
cores when they're available, but the way in which it does this is
designed for realtime operation, and can fail when running in
freewheeling mode. From what I understand, it's likely (but not
guaranteed!) to work on single-core systems, but on multi-core systems,
it often (but not always) fails.

FWIW, with the performance I have on just one of my CPU cores, I'd be
quite happy to have the convolution all run on one core if it meant that
freewheeling mode worked reliably.

Thanks
Leigh