Re: [LAU] LV2, DSSI and the future of plugins

From: Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 14 2011 - 19:03:35 EET

Am 14.01.2011 16:21, schrieb Louigi Verona:
> Hey, Hartmut!
>
> So in a practical sense, the difference between inconvenient and impossible
> is not that big. Also, remember that this is not the 80s and not the 90s
> where you had what you had - today you know that your friend, using Windows,
> can accomplish what you work on for hours in several minutes time and it
> might even sound better.
>
> ;)

True: some things can be so inconvenient, that they are quite nearly
impossible.

Given you want a synth in a song and a part in the very same song, where
the speed sweps from 112bpm to 142bpm whithin 2 bars. And the LFO of the
synth shall be synched to the speed of the song/drums etc...

Very inconvenient. For may people, that are used to work with plugins,
that recognize bpm automagically it might seem so inconvenient, that it
appeares impossible. And some will simply listen to the synthtrack and
wonder, why the hell it sounds so strange after the speed-change because
they never worked with a synth that does not catch up bpm from the
hosting DAW automatically...

What I am trying to say is, that even though you are totally correct
with finding Linux Audio imperfect, this does not mean, that it is unusable.

For certain things one needs the powers, Linux Audio Apps do not have to
offer yet. But if you use all the powers that are there already, you can
do a lot of things useful, even beautyfull even perfect.

To get back on topic:

I believe, that LV2 should be pushed and that all other formats should
be abandoned. Further I think, Louigi has a very strong point when he
asks for better tools and documentation for devs.

To have an intuitive point+click construction kit for LV2-plugins would
  help a lot.

bets regs

HZN