Re: [LAU] [LAA] [ANN] guitarix released gx_head

From: hermann <brummer-@web.de>
Date: Sun Jan 16 2011 - 22:04:21 EET

Am Sonntag, den 16.01.2011, 19:18 +0100 schrieb Ivan Tarozzi:
> Il giorno ven, 14/01/2011 alle 21.36 +0100, hermann ha scritto:
> > I'm happy to announce the first public release of gx_head.
> [cut]
>

> Thank you very much for your great job, Hermann!
>
> Next day I will take a tour on new features and default presets.
>
> > gx_head is ready for language support via gettext() and comes thanks to
> > Pablo Fernández with a Spanish translation.
>
> Can you give us some tips about translation? I will glad to help about
> italian language, if no other wants.
> But I'm little confused about which words translate and wich not. For
> example: for the knob description (example GAIN, LEVEL, ...) I think
> english is well (hardware rig also use it)
>

> Ivan

Hi Ivan

Thanks, hope you like it when you check it out.

for the translation, yea that will be welcome.
Not any label need to be translated, it's up to the translator to decide
what is useful for the special language and what better stay in plain
English. Gain, Level, are good examples. But still there are some
messages witch will be more useful when they comes in the native
language.

However, in gx_head you will find the folder /gx_head/po , there in is a
file called untitled.pot it contains all used labels and strings in the
app. You can open it with any text-editor of your choice, but I would
suggest to use a po file editor like poedit or gtranslator or
ktranslator.

Any string/label is there like this

#: ../src/gx_head/gx_interface_builder.cpp:56
msgid "Plugins"
msgstr ""

it shows were in the source the label is and the label.
The translation take place in the msgstr "translation here"

Using a po editor makes it more easy, then you just need to translate
the shown labels and be done. Labels you wont to stay in English, you
simply not translate.
Also you need to change the line 17
and remove line 7
#, fuzzy

and it will be good when you enter your name in the header that you've
done the translation.
When you've done, rename the file to it.po

Then you could run ./waf configure ./waf build and sudo ./waf install
again to check if your translation work well.

to generate a new pot file, run
 intltool-update --pot
in the po directory.

When you've feel the translation suit your needs, send it to me, I will
include it gladly in the distribution.

regards hermann