Re: [LAU] LV2, DSSI and the future of plugins

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 17 2011 - 23:31:41 EET

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 03:38:48PM +0100, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> don't forget the most important aspect of mastering: a second pair
> of ears, in a very good listening room.

Correct.

> take that out of the equation, and all that's left of mastering is
> some parametric eq and (if you must) multiband compression.

And I wonder why these shouldn't be done when mixing instead.

In the 'old days' EQ and compression was required to adapt a
mix to the limits of the distribution medium (vinyl in most
cases). No such problem exists today. Why on earth should you
re-EQ a mix ? If the mixing engineer did a good job (by carefully
EQ-ing individual tracks), what chance do you have to improve this
by acting on the mixed signal ? If he didn't, the way to correct
for this is to redo the mix. Same for compression, it's much more
effective and less intrusive when done on single tracks.

Ciao,

--
FA
There are three of them, and Alleline.