Re: [LAU] Building a low latency friendly kernel

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de>
Date: Wed Jan 26 2011 - 20:03:11 EET

Hey Massy!
   difficut question, asked loads of times with always revised answers. I think
there are howto's on the subject by the dozent.
   I always just get a vanilla kernel from kernel.org and compile it myself,
just using the built-in lowlatency features, tailor it completely to my
system. It takes some time, but in the end it has always been worth it. I'm
running on a 1.8 gHz processor with 1G of RAM, do Nama, Fluidsynth,
LinuxSampler, Aeolus, Bristol and LADSPA effects and mostly have no problem
with about 10-15 tracks. Of course I apply the effects, when I'm done
recording. But in some special cases I had to a pply an effect in realtime,
since it was so vital to the sound and playing technique and I didn't die. :-)
   Then of course there are a lot of kernel packages. There's the -rt series
for Debian systems. Don't mix it up with -rt patches, since there's a
difference. Don't ask me, since I don't use them. But I've heard they're good,
if the chap still does them and hasn't given up out of pure frustration, that
he got loads of stupid questions from people, who didn't listen to him or read
his comments about not mixing those up. :-)
   NOTE: If you build your own kernel, make sure that the standard kernel is
the default entry in your booloader and stays there, until you're 100%!!!
satisfied with it.
   Warmly yours
           Julien

--------