Re: [LAU] Sorta-OT: Linux phones?

From: dmotd <inaudible@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 27 2011 - 16:08:07 EET

----- Original message -----

> > On 27/01/11 14:24, Ray Rashif wrote:
> > > The closest to Linux is the N900. Then you have the Androids.
> >
> > Yep, the N900 is really the only serious option I know of. Android
>
> The N900 feels like a computer with a GMS chip bolted on. It feels like
> home, SSH login, bash/tcsh, all the usual tools, easy to root and get
> access to CPU clocking options and if you don't might putting PA into a
> hissy fit then you  can get right at the ALSA drivers and get low
> latency audio.

Yep.. N900 is a pretty fine phoneputer. Feels like linux through and through and most of the standard 'phone' function is as you would expect/want (this email client is a bit of a mess, but i hate to moan and it's an exception - and i can ssh into a mutt session if i really want). I've got puredata running and it's pretty great for scratching together ideas while waiting for a bus.

A decent community behind maemo development, although nokia seem a little sidetracked with meego/moblin dev and at times uncommunicative (just an observation from forums). But there is enough scope with the current hardware to keep one ammused for a while, especially if you don't mind getting your fingers dirty. I think there will be a growing pool of community ports from linaudios extensive repertoire. Hopefully nokia will keep investing in the platform and not abandon it as a short-lived experiment, anyones guess with google breathing down their necks and apple setting the benchmark.

-dmotd