Re: [LAU] State of the art GUI

From: Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 29 2011 - 00:22:03 EET

On 1/29/11, James Morris wrote:

> Why do we have to worry about people not liking Linux all the time? If
> those buggers cause Linux to become all shiny and polished I'll have
> to find some other OS to flagellate myself over.

That sounds like a typical defensive reaction to me :)

Let's try to avoid dumbing argumentation down to "shiny ergo bad". The
question is not just about people refusing to use Linux, because they
don't see so many shiny buttons, the question is how to make ourselves
better tools -- tools that let any kind of musician (hello, Louigi :))
to get from an idea to final mix in less time. How can you possibly
refuse that? :)

As for UI, polish is part of what makes an application a craftman's
work. There's nothing wrong about a job well done. But it takes people
of different skills to get there.

Speaking of which, GSoC 2011 has been announced earlier this week. I
can only recall Ardour, Mixxx and CLAM participating in the past. Any
other teams interested? Here is the timeline:

http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/timeline

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org