Re: [LAU] a lot of xruns after upgrading from ubuntu 8.04 to, 10.04

From: Kim Cascone <kim@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 02 2011 - 21:29:19 EET

I've also been having some issues with xruns (mostly while using the
zynaddsubfx synth) and have been fiddling with my Jack settings to see
if I can minimize them

current settings: RT=true; Priority: 89; Frames: 1024; SR: 44kHz,
Periods/Buffer: 3; and my latency is 69.7mS

-- I'm using the 2.6.36-3.dmz.2-liquorix-686 kernel
-- another weird anomaly is that I get clicks from the zynaddsubfx synth
engine when pressing more than one or two keys at once or when going
from one key to another -- mostly heard on pads...this happens
intermittently and doesn't happen all the time

settings in my limits.conf file:
==================================

/etc/security/limits.conf
@kim - rtprio 99
@kim - memlock unlimited

settings in my audio.conf file:
================================

/etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf
the same parameters are # commented out in the 'audio.conf' file

do they need to be uncommented out?
not sure why there exist two places and whether having one location is
sufficient...?

is there a thread or page where Jackd optimization is discussed in detail?
I've read the Jack FAQ http://jackaudio.org/faq

but it would be helpful if there was something outlining how to adjust
all the various params to minimize xruns for various work environments...
i.e.
synth programming
duplex 16 track recording
laptop performance