Re: [LAU] looking for a USB soundcard

From: Cedric Roux <sed@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 03 2011 - 14:26:31 EET

----- "Paul Davis" <paul@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 4:55 AM, Cedric Roux <sed@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> I plug the thing
> > in the USB port and ALSA sees a new input device (whatever
> > that means, I don't know much about ALSA but I'll learn; I
> > don't want to bother with something else than ALSA like JACK,
> > it's already painful enough, OSS come back! open("/dev/dsp")
> > was perfect... (yes I'm old and lazy)).
>
> lets clarify some things. ALSA and JACK are not replacements for each
> other. JACK lives "on top" of ALSA or FFADO (the current driver model
> for Firewire audio devices) or even on top of OSS, and provides
> services that these other layers do not. if you want to use most of
> the tools available on linux for music creation or pro-audio, you
> *will* end up using JACK in all likelihood but not as a replacement
> for ALSA.

Paul, by no mean did I want to offend you and your team.
I respect your work with JACK (and Ardour by the way). It's just
not the way I do things. I make my own software. I just need simple
layers below so I don't spend zillions of hours lost in billions of
functions of the API dispersed in trillions of include files. And
ALSA is not very, how say, "hacker-friendly." The other day I wanted
to redirect audio output to a file, I spent the whole day digging for
the correct configuration file I had to write with all thoses slaves
everywhere that don't make a lot of sense at first.

But your are right, I should have phrased it more respectfully.

And if someone from ALSA reads this, don't be offended. I repeat:
this is just me. Your programs are great and surely promote
free software in some circles, like professional people and
so on. This is just not the way I like it. And sorry for the
noise.

> almost all USB 1.0 audio devices work on Linux without any work on
> your part. you just need to make sure the device you get mentions
> that
> it needs no drivers for windows or os x - a sure sign of a "class
> compliant" device that will work on linux too.

good to know, thanks.