Re: [LAU] Linux programs for creatiing/manipulating sound effects

From: Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 08 2011 - 00:03:14 EET

Am 07.02.2011 21:12, schrieb Bearcat M. Sandor:
> Folks,
>
> Thanks for all of the replies. Ardour + plug-ins looks like my best best
> so far, but i'll check out some of the other options as well. It seems
> like a good excuse to learn ardour which i've been meaning to do anyhow.
>
> When i'm playing with this, are there any guide lines that i can keep in
> mind to avoid hurting my ears and stereo equipment when i'm playing with
> stuff? Just adjust all knobs slowly till i know what they do?

I think this will not be available.

Especially modulation-effects like flangers always have the potential to
produce extreme peaks. If you want to limit the danger to your
ears/hardware, put a capable limiter like foo lookahead limiter in
Ardours Master-track. To be even more secure connect Ardours master-outs
not to your soundcard but to jamin inputs. Then you connect jamin to
your hardware-ports. Jamin has got a brickwall-limiter that justifies
its name ;-)

> Now all i need is to find some sort of battery powered mic with a little
> sdhc recorder in it, that i could pull out of my pocket when ever i
> heard something interesting. I'd like to start collecting sounds and
> playing with them.
>
> I love this mailing list.

you are most welcome :-)