Re: [LAU] Mounting /tmp to tmpfs

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 09 2011 - 11:04:31 EET

On 02/09/2011 09:44 AM, Cedric Roux wrote:
> no access to disk, so you may win.
> On the other hand you squat some RAM for a file system,
> so you may end up with swapping anyway.

Thanks Cedric, I was thinking about that too. And since swapping is not
so desirable in such an environment you can lower the swappiness. But I
guess that may conflict again with your /tmp being on a temporary
filesystem.

> So answer is: it depends. On what you do. On your computer
> (amount of RAM).
> You clearly win if the programs you run do a lot of little I/O
> in /tmp and don't smoke too much memory for other things.

Actually I have no idea what the programs I run do in /tmp. And given
the fact that apparently some people had more issues (xruns) with the
default swappiness of many systems than with a /tmp on a physical disk
I'd assume not mounting /tmp to tmpfs would be a better option. Unless
you got like 16Gb of RAM. Which I don't have.

Best,

Jeremy