Re: [LAU] audio configuration for ulatencyd

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 14 2011 - 17:22:56 EET

On 02/14/2011 03:32 PM, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> On 02/14/2011 03:15 PM, Robin Gareus wrote:
>> There may be a few ALSA-midi clients (no JACK) that try to acquire RT
>> scheduling but I can't think of any just now. Oh, and cdrdao (mastering
>> audio to CD) likes to have RT privileges.
>

> PHASEX runs it's MIDI and engine threads with RT privileges.

 * puredata aka pd when run with `pd -rt` as well;
 * supercollider's "sclang" can do so
 * qsynth/fluidsynth (depending on config and backends:
    midi.realtime-prio' and 'audio.realtime-prio')

I don't know about rosegarden, qtractor, hydrogen, seq24, ams, csound,
chuck, aeolus, bristol, ecasound, snd-rt, a2jmidid, lmms, midish,
qmidinet, gstreamer, CLAM, etc, etc. I suppose all ALSA-midi/sequencer
instruments that can be played, recorded or used live should set up RT
scheduling; not all of them do that [yet]. Same goes for non-JACK ALSA
or OSS audio apps.

Many authors/maintainers of audio software are subscribed to LAD.
If it really boils down to collecting a white-list: call there. Some
closed source apps: eg skype or baudline may try to setup RT
scheduling?! and there's A/V apps and video-players, too.
`ps -Leo rtprio,ni,pri,comm` will tell.

I need to say that I'm not a friend of black/white listing. What are the
alternatives?

ciao,
robin