Re: [LAU] Linux Laptops?

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 15 2011 - 03:37:01 EET

Sure, I'll shill for my Thinkpad T410. The i5 with
4GB memory and a quiet 7500rpm disk makes it my
fastest machine evar.

I don't know much about graphics hardware; the Intel integrated
graphics device meets my modest needs.

Battery life is okay, many of the hotkeys work, it runs
cool. Has a matte screen.

Even has a modem, which may be useful in revolutionary
situations when ADSL/wireless is not available.

And I'll take this opportunity and soapbox to recommend
*against* Toshiba. I had a bad time with an
overheating L305 series laptop with Turion dual-core processor and
Linux-incompatible fan control.

The H2O BIOS may be to blame.

It would only *not* overheat at the slowest available speed (1GHz).
Cpufrequtils wouldn't get loaded until late in the boot
sequencer. (I never changed the init order.) As a result
The darn thing would overheat while doing a mandatory chkdsk. :-(

Mercifully the screen started misbehaving, giving me an
excuse to buy something nicer. :-)

--
Joel Roth