Re: [LAU] Ardour + sidechaining (SC3) and qualityloss

From: Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden-hochschule.de>
Date: Fri Feb 18 2011 - 16:25:17 EET

On 02/18/2011 09:44 AM, Gabbe Nord wrote:
> Hey guys!
>
> Recently started some form of electroproject in ardour, and as always
> sidechaining is needed. Right now I'm routing everything that's to be
> sidechained (which is everything but the kick lol) into a 3-channel bus
> with a SC3 on connected to the kick. The sidechaining works, but i
> actually get a very noticable quality loss and thining of the
> stereoimage from using the SC3..

just to make sure: the panning of your busses is correct? (i.e. hard
left and right?)
if you're trying parallel compression: are you aware that ardour busses
do not have latency compensation? so if you have other plugins in there
that do look-ahead, or maybe a jack insert, you will get comb filtering
when you recombine the bus outs with a direct signal path.

best,

jörn