Re: [LAU] M-Audio Fast Track Ultra

From: Chip VanDan <chip.vandan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 20 2011 - 21:03:40 EET

Well, I want to thank those that replied. Following Ketil's suggestion I
managed to get the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra working. I was using the 2.6.33
(realtime or lowlatency, not sure which right now) but I managed to install
the 2.6.38 generic kernel from the kernel repository for Ubuntu and it "just
worked"! The PPA that he referred has the lowlatency kernel available for
"natty" but not for "lucid" so I may have to do some digging to get a
lowlatency or realtime kernel 2.6.38 for lucid.

My compiling skills go as far as following step by step instructions, and if
the dependencies aren't available I find them in synaptic. I should take
the time to learn how to patch certain files, and maybe how to compile my
own kernels, but everytime I compile something it never goes to the right
place on my system.

So as it stands right now, JACK starts up using the correct sound card and I
have 8 channels available for input and output. The MIDI does not show up
in JACK, but I'm not concerned about that because I already use a USB
MIDISport Uno for MIDI input. When JACK is not running the system still
uses my laptop's built in soundcard, which I'll have to figure out how to
switch over to use the Fast Track Ultra full-time, but I think I've seen
instructions for how to do that on some site somewhere. My ideal situation
would be to run all audio through JACK all the time, but the only page I've
ever seen that explains how to do that was seriously outdated.

So, again, thank you for your input, it was a pleasure as always. You have
saved this bit of equipment from sitting in the return bin at the store.

Chip

--
Christopher "Chip" Van Dan
http://www.van-dan.com