Re: [LAU] Music Made with Linux: The Infinite Repeat - Money or Love (DJ AutoStatic Remix)

From: Leigh Dyer <lsd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 21 2011 - 03:55:38 EET

On 21/02/11 12:37, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 01:25:08AM +0100, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
>
>> This is actually the very first track I made with Linux. Recently I
>> listened to it again and felt this track deserved some more attention so
>> I decided to remix it. Originally this track was made with LMMS and I
>> recorded the vocals with Qtractor. I kept the vocals and parts of the
>> drumsamples and I also stuck with the bass line for the verse and some
>> of the effects.
>>
>> So I loaded all the samples into Hydrogen, recorded all MIDI patterns
>> with seq24 and inserted the plug-ins I wanted to reuse into Qtractor.
>>
>> Well, that was my intention actually. I ended up rerecording guitar
>> parts and added quite some extra samples. Also the number of synths
>> steadily grew during the process, same for the amount of plug-ins I used.
>
> No comment on the music, just the tech quality: it sounds horribly
> distorted, in particular the vocals. And with a peak to RMS ratio of
> 6 dB or so that is to be expected.

I'm sure that's a stylistic decision, rather than an accidental mistake
-- the distortion in general and the relatively flat dynamics are quite
common for this kind of track. I might not have had the vocals distort
quite so much in the loud passages, though I've no doubt that it was
deliberate.

Thanks Jeremy, I enjoyed this! Some great sounds in there, and a great
progression through them, too -- it never sits still for very long at all.

Thanks
Leigh