Re: [LAU] Music Made with Linux: The Infinite Repeat - Money or Love (DJ AutoStatic Remix)

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 21 2011 - 15:58:14 EET

On 02/21/2011 03:09 PM, linuxdsp wrote:
> The compressor used in the linuxDSP MBC2 does have a kind of gentle tape
> saturation style soft clipping in the final stage, so (only) if you push
> the levels high there will be a gradual overload - the idea is that if
> you have your gain structure correct you will run into this gentle kind
> of overdrive without / just before hitting the kind of fierce hard
> cipping which can happen at the output of the DAC / soundcard (and which
> tends to happen suddenly and without any warning). The softer clipping
> is intended to be a gradual indication that you are approaching the
> limit and might need to back off a little if you want to keep the signal
> clean, but it can of course be used as an effect in its own right too.
> It's probably best thought of as part of the 'character' of the
> compressor, in the same way that analogue equivalents (and other
> plugins) have their own 'sound'. For the most part it should have no
> effect - its just designed to give the compressor a more analogue
> character when pushed.

I used the MBC2 to finalize the track, for the vocals in the verse I
used the Calf compressor from git. The Calf one is way more 'digital'
and thus colder sounding which I preferred in this case. I really like
the sound of the MBC2, big bonus is the GUI, it loads superfast and no
xruns. If I start up the GUI of any Calf DSSI or LV2 plug-in I get an
xrun and it doesn't open as swiftly as the LinuxDSP ones. This is only a
minor drawback, other than that the Calf plug-ins are great too.

Best,

Jeremy