Re: [LAU] Audio player that handles WMA audio files and WPL playlists

From: S. Massy <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 01 2011 - 21:13:32 EET

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 11:33:59PM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> A friend has an old laptop with Windows XP that is
> misbehaving.
>
> He has a lot of music and playlists in the above formats.
> Does Linux have a player that is compatible with these?
> Wine is also possible, especially if the apps can be
> run off an existing Windows partition.
As others have pointed out, mplayer (and possibly vlc, gstreamer apps,
etc.) can handle most things without problem. The only exception is wma9
which does not seem to work. Also, I am not sure about the playlist
format, but that probably could be converted to something else without
too much fuss and bother.

> I'm considering installing a Linux distribution for him.
> The window manager needs to be lightweight enough to run on
> a Pentium M, with 500MB memory. He'd like to be able to
> view videos as well.
Someone mentioned xfce; my wife used it for a while on ab old laptop
with 256MB of RAM and it mostly worked fine for her, even using such
graphics tools as gimp. Lxde is another minimalistic environment people
speak well of, although I have little personal experience with it. If
your friend is adventurous, there are even more minimalistic window
managers out there, such as ion and fluxbox. Finally, there is ice3wm,
which I understand was specifically designed to emulate popular
environments such as OS X and Windows, though once again, I have no idea
how well it performs.

Cheers,
S.M.