Re: [LAU] Laid to rest is Pro Tools LE"...

From: Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 05 2011 - 21:09:00 EET

On 3/5/11, Thomas Vecchione wrote:

>> I heartily disagree. Tweaking OS to get things done comes *before* you
>> start meddling with Ardour and isn't required all the time.
>
> The problem is that most of the time it is.

Is it? Why?

>> That makes
>> it possible to just write an Appendix that will cover several
>> distributions, while bloody well focusing on Ardour. So what's the
>> problem?
>>
> In that case you are writing a manual for Ardour, so wanna join the work
> already in progress that you just wrote about?;)

Well, *my* problem is that I never used PT and so far don't even
intend to. Contributing to other parts of the manual is something I'd
like to do as soon as I learn to clone myself and let the new fella
work on projects I never had time for :)

> Of course the appendixes would require constant maintenence and would be
> exceedinly numerous as there are numerous distributions used in pro audio on
> Linux. That, I think but am not certain, is why the FLOSS manual covered
> Ubuntu to a limited degree and left it there. Trying to cover all of them
> is quite challenging and requires much more time than they had.
>
> Of course that being said just triyng to cover all of what Ardour can do is
> challenging in itself, trust me:)

You are saying that to someone who spent not the worst 6 years of his
life working as tecnical writer ;-)

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org