[LAU] Cracks while using Audiophile 2496

From: Manu <manu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 13 2011 - 20:27:47 EET

Hi,

I just bought an Audiophile 2496. Unfortunately, it does not work as
well as I imagined. Here are the symptoms :

* Simple listening (no jack, just alsa):
- when I route PCM outs directly to HW outs, I here "cracks" on the
right side (I don't know the precise english word to describe the
noise, see below for example)
- if I switch the RCA cables, the cracks change side
- when I route the digital mix to HW out, I don't hear cracks

* Recording (jack, no xruns):
- I can record my guitar (I use the RCA analog in)
- I still hear the cracks while I play and in the recorded sound
(example :http://manu.mindslicer.com/export.wav). These cracks are
very similar to what I hear when I listen music without jack (with PCM
out -> HW out).

I tried with different sets of cables and headphones.

What do you think ? From what I heard, I doubt it is a
software-related problem. A lot of people use the Audiophile without
problem. Moreover, switching the RCAs switches the side of the cracks.
I just wanted to have your opinion before sending the card back. Could
it be a configuration issue ? Is it a problem with the
chair-to-keyboard interface ?

Thanks in advance for all the advices you can give me.

Cheers,
Manu

Conf:
-------

Arch Linux 64 bits (Intel Core i5, 4 Gb RAM)
M-Audio Audiophile 2496
alsa 1.0.24
envy24control 0.6.0
jack2 1.9.6