Re: [LAU] Audigy too

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 17 2011 - 11:17:17 EET

Renato wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 21:19:10 +1030
> Batz <batzman-lau@email-addr-hidden-electric.com> wrote:
>
>> So if anyone wants to tell me how I can fast track this, I would very
>> much appreciate it.
>>

> hi, just a general consideration: from my experience every distro will
> have something that's not working right out of the box. But rather than
> trashing the distro and trying another one on the first problem, you'll
> be much better off (in terms of time) to choose a distro with a good
> community, and ask on forums or mailing lists advice for the specific
> problems you encounter. I know it does seem overwhelming when you've
> got many things to track down but you can make a list, and one by one
> solve the problems (and by so doing learn how all the system/apps work)
> - I just think you'll be up faster than if you just "try" another
> distro.
>
> For the distro to choose, personally I wouldn't know... I use Archlinux
> but that probably requires a bit too much setup for your purposes...
> I'd probably suggest an ubuntu-derivative, only because that's what
> most people use and it will probably be easier to find help for your
> problems.
>
> Ah, also, I guess KXstudio uses KDE? If that's the case, I'm not
> surprised to hear it's slow, as it's *the* most bloated DE...
> Personally all I use is openbox,pcmanfm, tint2 and conky - I have all
> the essential GUI features and it's way faster than any DE.

Aptosid 2011.1 with XFCE runs fine here. Full networking support, RT
kernel, no need to futz around with permissions to make audio work,
first distro I've tried that found and worked with my Audiophile 2496
card without problems. Has very current versions of audio software,
since it's based on Debian Sid.

Agreed: KDE4 is bloated, uses tons of resources, runs services that have
negative impact on pro audio use (have its silly content indexing
"semantic desktop" service kick off and start grinding away on the disk
drive while you're recording something????). And I was a long time KDE
user until recently.

The GNOME desktop environment is cramped and limiting, old-fashioned,
and seems to be regularly dumbing itself down even further. Plus the
coming dustup over GNOME 3 is going to make the KDE community fights
about KDE4 look like kindergarten stuff.

I also like Fluxbox for a minimal-resource-consuming desktop.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden