Re: [LAU] Audigy too

From: S. Massy <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 19 2011 - 01:10:38 EET

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 11:23:40PM +1030, Batz wrote:
[...]
> I need to see Linux sampler/fluid synth, etc, working. It doesn't
> matter to me upon what distro. The reason is that I need to know
> that they are going to work in this situation. There's not much
> point pouring time and resource into something only to find that
> it's design philosophy is anathema to the limitations of my
> methodology. On the other hand, I might find a workaround. Or even a
> better way of doing things. I just don't know till I can see it
> working. And then I'd know if it's worth putting in the hard work of
> nailing a system down. That's all I'm saying.
>
> From what I'd been reading there seems to be a couple of big flaws
> in the design of both fluid and LSP. But I can't tell from just
> reading about it. On the other hand they seem tantalizingly
> comprehensive. I really need to see that for myself. That's really
> the only point I'm making about that. It's actually a small point
> and I'm sorry to have had to labor it so. What I was asking is if
> there was any sure fire way I can get to that point so I can
> audition them. What's the quickest path? However you want to phrase
> that.
>
> Once I can see it's efficacy, once I can evaluate the behavior, then
> I can invest time in the nuts and bolts. With a view to honing it
> into a semi-embedded system perhaps.
>
> The thing is that everybody seems to be concerned with recording.
> And to a slightly lesser extent, sequencing. Sampling and
> soft-synths are seen as add-ons and plug-ins to those things. This
> philosophy presents us with a conundrum. Those solutions work well
> in the short term. However in the long term they are redundant. I
> need an instrument that is independent of those things and yet
> completely controllable. Future proof to an extent. Because once I
> start composing with this instrument, there's no going back. If I
> want to play the same song in 10 years time, I have to know that the
> instrument that makes the sounds is going to be there. Even if
> everything else changes around it. And that's just one issue.
From the above, I infer that what you're after is a "proof of concept"
or "proof of workability". In this case, I suggest you pick any
distribution that suits your taste and install packages like fluid and
linuxsampler. Don't bother with pro audio, rt, or even jack at this
point, if all you want is to "see if it works for you". Then, once you
know for sure, you can upgrade to the latest versions of those packages
and focus on making your system battle-ready, so to speak.

Cheers,
S.M.