[LAU] audio latency question

From: andy baxter <andy@email-addr-hidden-online.co.uk>
Date: Sun Mar 20 2011 - 19:25:52 EET

Hi,

I am thinking about a possible design for the second version of the
position sensing drum pad I have been working on, and I have a question
about latency. I am working around the assumption that 10ms latency is
about the worst it can get before people start to notice it in practice,
so I am thinking of building the pad in a way where the normal latency
is about 1ms, but it degrades to between 10-15 ms in the very worst case
(many simultaneous strikes and pressure variations across the pad).
Allowing this level of degradation would make it possible (I think) to
use an arduino rather than a faster processor, which would be nice.

So the question is, where does this 10ms figure come from, and is it a
reasonable working value? I have picked it up somewhere but I'm not
exactly sure where.

Thanks for any replies.

andy