Re: [LAU] audio latency question

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 20 2011 - 21:33:38 EET

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 19:11:07 +0000
Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 18:52:24 +0000
> andy baxter <andy@email-addr-hidden-online.co.uk> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > The only thing I found problematic in his design wasn't to do with
> > usability but the expense (and also physical bulk) of having to use a
> > high end audio interface as part of the electronics. This put me off
> > building one myself, so I am thinking of having a go at a very similar
> > design but using a resistive rather than capacitive pressure sensing
> > technique. I.e. basically the same design but using a sheet of carbon or
> > metal loaded conductive rubber and measuring the resistance changes when
> > you scan through the matrix. If this works, it will hopefully produce
> > similar results but with much simpler electronics and firmware.
> >
> > andy
>
> This is vastly overcomplicated. Once you understand the concept itself (which
> really is good), a set of dedicated oscillators and detectors (tuned
> amplifiers+A/D converters) would by much simpler, smaller and reliable. I would
> then be inclined to try to embed the electronics in the device itself, and bump
> up the operating frequency as much a possible to improve the response time of
> the detectors.

Answering my own post...

I mean the original concept using the audio interface is overcomplicated. The
resistive idea has the merit of dramatic simplification but I wonder at the
consistency of the resistive elements and whether you would get a (reasonably)
linear output of if it would tend to behave more like a low quality switch.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk