Re: [LAU] recompiling vst natively on Linux

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 25 2011 - 11:39:23 EET

On Friday 25 March 2011 08:59:51 Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On 3/25/11, Rafal Zawadzki wrote:
> > Download Juce or Juced - frameworks for crossplatform VST.
>
> That goes without saying :) The aforementioned Loomer uses JUCE. I was
> referring to already existing VST(i) plug-ins whatever toolkit they
> use.

That "whatever toolkit they use" is the key point here. To compile on linux
without major redesign, you have to use a cross-platform toolkit from the
start.
Bonus points if you also use a build-system that is available cross-platform.

The main problem (apart from religious reasons) is that with closed-source
apps you need to have the build-chain for all "supported" platforms available
and know enough about them to compile your binaries. And together with the
support growing with every supported platform, this is what keeps
manufacturers from publishing their linux-ports...

Have fun,

Arnold