Re: [LAU] help with guitarix settings - jack issue

From: Peder Hedlund <peder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 27 2011 - 16:13:34 EEST

Quoting Cedric Roux <sed@email-addr-hidden>:

> ----- "Peder Hedlund" <peder@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> > I won't do that, no.
>>
>> We're trying to help you get things working here. If you won't try the
>> things we suggest then what's the point in asking for help?
>
> ah sorry, I thought you were just suggesting stuff,
> not giving orders.

Obviously you're perfectly free to ignore the recommendations and
suggestions, but why the stubbornness? Is it a huge problem for you to
try the things suggested to you and see if things start working?
Since noone's asking you to remove anything and/or install new kernels
and other software you can always, easily, revert to the non-working
state you have now and live on (un?)happily.
The point in making educated guesses is to have people try them out
and see if things start working. If they refuse to do that, we won't
get anywhere.

> Anyway, jack does not work for me, for whatever
> reason. I didn't really ask for help, just a side
> note in the thread and Paul caught it.
> If jack can't handle two cards properly, the problem
> is in jack. If I can't ask for 40 record buffers
> and 2 or 3 for playback, the problem is not in the
> hardward.

Step one in bug hunting: limit the amount of error sources. If there's
a problem running something on 294 different sound cards, try running
with just one first and see if the problem disappears.
There's a possibility that Jack works fine in your multicard setup,
but until we find the exact problem you need to strip things down to
the bare minimum.

But if you dislike Jack that much, feel free to explore other ways of
playing and recording. I hear you can buy recording software for other
operating systems that work reasonably well.

> Thanks for your suggestions.
> Discussion is over for me.

OK.