Re: [LAU] OT: metal, money, changes, bleg

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 02 2011 - 22:32:06 EEST

On Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 08:02:31AM -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Ken Restivo wrote:
>> Fans (or non-fans) of 80's heavy metal might enjoy this. A friend sent me this raw material in a random email, and I spent exactly 15 minutes coding it up in (gasp!) PHP:
>>
>> http://restivo.org/dio/
>>

> Well, no offense, but if that's where you're headed with PHP I suggest
> you rethink your priorities. :)
>
> As I told a friend long ago, if you're going to be broke and unhappy, be
> broke and unhappy doing something you love.
>
> OTOH, if Dio-status is what you're aiming for as a career in music, just
> stick with the PHP. At least then you're likely to end up better-looking
> than Ronnie.

No, that was just 15 minutes of amusement. I've done 100k-lines-of-code back-end systems in PHP/MySQL. Wasn't fun, and didn't pay a single penny (was volunteer work for a non-profit), but if I were getting paid it'd have been a lot more than music would've paid.

> PS. *4 years* is all you've put into it ?! Ach, kids these days, they
> got no sticktoitiveness. ;) I didn't give up on "making it in music"
> (whatever that means) until I'd invested a few decades chasing that will
> o' the wisp. Then I had to figure out how to make a living as a
> musician, a rather different goal for me than "making it in music".
>
> PPS. Just having a little morning fun, Ken. No symbols where none intended.

Are you saying I'm lazy? :-)

Anyway, if you want to know, for me, "making it" means clearing $2K/month, which is the lowest I've been able get my expenses, averaged out over 4 years. I have child-care responsibilities in the afternoons, so I only really have part-time hours available anyway.

Couldn't get there in music, by any means I could pull off credibly. That says: time to hang it up.

-ken