Re: [LAU] Music Made With Linux: Shameless Plug for My Remix Contest Entry

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Apr 03 2011 - 20:36:02 EEST

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 06:28:21AM -0500, S C Rigler wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 2:39 AM, Cedric Roux <sed@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > ----- "S C Rigler" <riglersc@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > >
> > http://www.indabamusic.com/#!/opportunities/gold-motel-remix-contest/submissions/51279
> >
> > Is it just me or others cannot download the music as well?
> > I don't run flash, is it flash-based? Is it supposed to work with firefox?
> > maybe version 4.0?
> >
> > Why so many people on the list use crappy services like the above one,
> > I don't get it...
> >

> Yes, the site requires flash to run their streaming player. I apologize for
> not mentioning that before. I certainly do not choose the web sites I visit
> because they require flash but I've had to stop being a purist with some
> things because I haven't found free, non-proprietary,
> environmentally-friendly alternatives that allow me to participate like
> everyone else. From now on I will, at the very least, mention when flash is
> required and try to include an alternative, Lynx-compatible, means to access
> the work I am trying to share.

That'd be great. I'd like to hear it and I only use my Flash-enabled Firefox profile when I have web-related work to do. This is, after all, a Linux list, so it's unsurprising that Flash-h8rs are to be found here.

There are plenty of alternatives. I've had good luck with Bandcamp, or Archive.org, or even just an Amazon S3 account. Or just a random webserver somewhere. I'm sure there are folks on this list who would gladly provide disk space for you if needed, for example, I notice that Patrick duplicates the music he chooses and hosts his LAU best-of mixes on his own server.

-ken