Re: [LAU] Video Drivers and Audio, ZaReason, and MacMini

From: Natanael Olaiz <nolaiz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 07 2011 - 11:32:40 EEST

Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Brian Bergstrom wrote:
> [...]
>> I know in the past I heard bad things about the binary proprietary
>> drivers and realtime audio(freezing, xruns, etc). Is this still the
>> case?
> Both nvidia's and fglrx's interrupt handlers are evil. However, you
> should be able to minimize their effects on the rest of the system by
> using a multi-core CPU (not that you could avoid this nowadays) and
> message-signaled interrupts (the nvidia driver needs the module option
> "NVreg_EnableMSI=1" to enable them). In the past, there were problems
> with MSI on some chipsets, but nowadays it works.
>
> [...]

Thanks a lot!!!!

I always had problems with the NVIDIA card sharing the same IRQ with the
firewire port (where I have a Saffire) in my notebook (dual core)...
Using the propietary driver (which works better for graphics), every
time the graphics card was required to use a lot of bandwith, I had a
xruns and the desktop turns unresponsive.... But that makes the trick! I
just added the option for the module and now both graphics and sound
works like a charm, with better distribution of CPUs!!!

Thanks again! :)

Best regards,
Natanael.