Re: [LAU] OT: Small studio monitors, or what are you using?

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 16 2011 - 14:10:28 EEST

On 04/16/2011 12:44 AM, S. Massy wrote:
> Hey, list,
>
> So, I'm in the market for monitors with a budget of approx $1000 (CAD in
> my case) and I've been trying to do my homework about the better known
> models and brands in the last couple of days, mainly thanks to SOS's
> excellent series of reviews. I need small monitors, both because the
> room I work in is small accoustically, and because my actual space
> real-estate is very limited. Anyway, it suddenly occured to me to ask on
> this list what my fellow Linux Users are favouring these days.
>
> Cheers,
> S.M.

I went though this ~2 years ago. Went to a music shop with 3 CDs that I
know very well (Eroica|Beethoven/Karajan: dynamics, Abbey-Road|Beatles:
amazing '69 mix, African Space Craft|Keziah Jones: bass&compression) and
listened to

 - Mackie MKII 824 (out of budget but nice reference)
 - KRK Rokit 8
 - Behringer Truth 2031A
 - some Alesis model - don't remember

the last three were all ~300 euros per speaker.

I eventually bought on the Behringer; they were the closest to the
Mackie speakers. The KRK were rather bass heavy (may be OK for a small
studio where you listen very softly - but not suitable to put them in a
corner of a room or close to a wall where bass reflects even more) and
the Alesis just sounded crap even without comparison.

I'd have loved to listen to Genelec 8030 as comparison - Behringer
copies their design, but they were not in stock. There's lot of talk
that the Behringer are /only/ a cheper knock off.. I dunno if it's true
and, well, they work for me.

for $1000 (US) you may be able to get a pair of Machie HR624MKII which
I'd recommend even though half of the money is "just for the name".

HTH,
robin