Re: [LAU] OT: Small studio monitors, or what are you using?

From: S. Massy <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 16 2011 - 22:02:47 EEST

Hello, and thanks to all who responded, I didn't expect such a flood of
replies. I'm going to reply in general since there are too many single
e-mails to respond to.

In my original post, I didn't mention any brands on purpose, so as to
get as many suggestions as possible, so I find it interesting that most
brands/models mentioned are those I had at least briefly studied or
considered, except for the NHT, of which I had never heard before.

On the very top of my possible lists, right now, are the Adam A5X,
which, though they are just a few dollars over my budget (before taxes,
ouch) are still close enough to tempt me. So one question I have is,
does any one have experience with the A5X? Has any one compared them
with the much cheaper A3X? I was tempted by the A3X, but was doubtful a
3 inch driver could deliver anything like the specs they advertise.

Next, the Genelecs. The miniature 8020A's are priced about the same as
the Adam A5X and are small, but I wonder at their versatility. The 8030A
can be picked up used for about the price of the A5X new, but the
frequency response they advertise is much more modest.

list, I read some pretty frightening stories about reliability on the
internet, so I'm not feeling as good about them as I did.

Now the Yamaha HS50M. I've actually been fortunate enough to listen at
length to these monitors and work with them. I would agree that they are
very detailed, "critical" monitors, and built like tanks at that. A
minor gripe I have with them is a slightly flaky bass response, a much
more important one is their harshness in the highs, which caused me to
lose perspective after about an hour of use.

Oh yeah, and the Behringers disappeared from local stores a few months
ago, I have no idea why.

My main quandry here is trying to find the best compromise between
quality, size (as in compactness), and price. I'm not really doing much
dance music, but I do need something as rounded out (versatile) as
possible. A pretty tall order, I realise...

Thanks again to all who responded.

Cheers,
S.M.