Re: [LAU] [OT-ish]: Live Distro for Mac Book Pros

From: S. Massy <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Apr 17 2011 - 21:59:52 EEST

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 05:58:03PM +0200, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I've done a first general workshop on Linux, FLOSS etc. as training
> conservatoire activity. A second one will be more of a a demo/tutorial
> with focus on audio/multimedia, I'd like it to also be hands-on. So my
> idea was to take a bunch of "audio-ready" live distro discs.
> Surprise surprise... most of the attendees will have a mac book pro, so
> workability on this platform is desired (sigh!)
Unfortunately, I don't think Macs will boot a Linux LiveCD. :( At least,
on my Mac Mini, I had to replace the mac EFI loader with rEFIt (an open
alternative) before I could boot any other OS. Perhaps this state of
affair has changed, or perhaps someone has found a way to fool Mac's EFI
loader into thinking it's booting Mac OS...

Good luck.

Cheers,
S.M.