Re: [LAU] Editing zynadsuxfx/yoshimi patches?

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 20 2011 - 03:24:55 EEST

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 7:37 PM, S. Massy <lists@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 12:34:24AM +0200, Julien Claassen wrote:
>> Hello!
>>   OK, then I think I'd prefer it the Bristol way. Basically that
>> kind of Vi-interface and an optional commandline. I suppose this
>> kind of interface is so handy, one should endevour to write a small
>> library for it. Something C++ based perhaps, that can easily be
> Yes, we've agreed on this point before: it's a wonderfully flexible
> compromise, allowing what needs to be commands to be so, and what needs
> to be key-stroke controled to be so as well with minimal waste of time.

i tackled a version of this problem nearly 10 years ago when i did the
KSI (key stroke interface) front end for ardour, which used a purely
text-based interface to control an early version of ardour (including
plugins). at the prompting of frank carmickle, who was paying for the
work, we adopted a heirarchical structure that also involved
scrolling, with 10 items per page at any time. so for example to get
to the 21st parameter of a given plugin, you'd navigate *down* a tree
(from the mixer to the Nth track to its plugins to the Nth plugins and
then scroll twice, and then use the control for the 1st item on that
"page". it worked extremely well, and i regret that we never adopted
the model for the GUI version of ardour in some deeper way.