Re: [LAU] Motherboard's S/PDIF port

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 23 2011 - 01:47:34 EEST

On Saturday 23 April 2011 00:25:10 Ivan K wrote:
> If I have a already have a ASUS motherboard with a Coaxial S/PDIF
> port, then is there any reason to get the Delta 66 over the Delta 44?
> Delta 66: 6-in/6-out, S/PDIF digital I/0 with SCMS control
> Delta 44: 4-in/4-out, no digital port.
> The only difference between the two cards (besides the number
> of in/outs) is the addition of the S/PDIF port on the Delta 66.
> I know the audio on motherboards is inferior to a good
> sound card, but is there any functional difference between
> S/PDIF on an ASUS motherboard and an M-Audio card?

If you only buy the delta66 because you need one stereo spdif (and have no
interest in the analog channels) then you can also go with the spdif on the
motherboard.
But be aware:
 - Many motherboards only have spdif output, no input. Sometimes an input is
available as two-pin connector on the board meant for connecting the cd.
 - The motherboards word-clock might not be the most stable one and there is
probably no way to sync it to an external source if needed.
 - If you want spdif (either from a delta or from your motherboard) _and_ the
anlog io from your delta at the same time, you have find a way to sync the
clocks. And then its easier to just buy the delta66. Or the 1010 to get more
io...

Have fun,

Arnold