Re: [LAU] Recommended USB interface with 2 XLR inputs?

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 01 2011 - 01:18:55 EEST

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 02:27:18PM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> I sold most of my mics and currently just have a pair of Rode NT1-A's
> which I do like the sound of for most things. They spec 5db SPL
> Self-noise whereas the KSM42 seems to spec 8.5.

It's actually the combination of self noise and sensitiviy that
matters. At 5dB(A) the NT1-A must be one the lowest noise mics
available. Fortunately it also has quite a high sensitivity:
-32 dBV/Pa. Combining the two means its produces -121dBV(A) of
noise, comparable to the Edirol's EIN at maximum gain. So now
all depends on how well the Edirol maintains its EIN at reduced
gain. I probably could measure one next week. Really good preamps
have a constant EIN in the top 20-25dB of their gain range, but I
doubt if the Edirol holds up to that.

> Not sure what I might be recording. At home it typically is acoustic
> guitar and some percussion. Live gigs - who knows - but it's typically
> been larger jazz groups (8-10 players) looking for an inexpensive
> stereo recording mostly for CD sales at gigs, etc.

That should be OK. OTOH, I'd say mics of this class deserve
something better...

Ciao,

--
FA