Re: [LAU] Recommended USB interface with 2 XLR inputs?

From: Thomas Vecchione <seablaede@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 03 2011 - 01:30:42 EEST

As was already mentioned before, USB spec is far less than the power
needed to power a laptop hard drive. Many USB implementation break
this spec and provide more power, but just because a hard drive
doesn't work, doesn't mean a USB port doesn't provide power. The only
type of HD that MIGHT be able to work under USB spec, and I would want
to check this, is a SSD.

Also as was mentioned, all USB ports provide some power, and so long
as the device is within spec, they will get the power needed. It
takes much more power to spin a motor in an external drive than it
does to power a non-moving device. For the record, the power draw for
that UA25 is 480mA as listed on the site, so it appears to be within
spec(Albiet on the very high end of it:)

        Seablade

PS By the way, you can conceivably damage a proper in spec USB ports
with those 'bus powered' hard drives IIRC. I wouldn't ever trust them
myself.