Re: [LAU] Pipe not working - or is it lame or oggdec

From: Simon Wise <simonzwise@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 03 2011 - 17:51:19 EEST

On 03/05/11 22:19, Daniel Worth wrote:

>> AI think the point is not who owns the content, but who owns the mp3 format
>> - have you paid them for the right to encode into 'their' mp3? Some claim
>> you must, as they claim to own patents on parts of the process of such
>> encoding. Some jurisdictions support this claim, others don't.
>>

> The point would be that they only enforce the license agreement if you make
> more than $100,000 in income from the encoded format per year. So while yes,
> it's not a patent free codec, he is within his rights under the DMCA
> requirements and the patent licensing terms for MP3. I just wanted to
> clarify a common misconception with MP3.

So you are saying that they do claim they own it, and do demand payment, but
they apparently won't bother to sue you for using it without paying if you don't
make much money out of it? Do they actually give permission, or do they just say
they will probably ignore 'small' offenders? Again it depends on where you are,
and what you, and your local jurisdiction/electorate/regime, think about anyone
being able to own an algorithm in the first place. There is much debate on this
matter.

Simon.