Re: [LAU] Recommended USB interface with 2 XLR inputs?

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 03 2011 - 19:12:53 EEST

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 8:55 AM, Joe Hartley <jh@brainiac.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 3 May 2011 08:13:29 -0700
> Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Joe,
>>    Is this the one you're talking about?
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/ART-USB-Dual-Channel-Preamp/dp/B002KEAT78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304435158&sr=8-1
>
> That's the one.
>
>>    I think the question in my mind, assuming you like the sound of the
>> preamps, is what the converters are like. Any chance you might do a
>> parallel recording, getting both the analog into your 1010 in parallel
>> with grabbing the audio over the USB port and then commenting on
>> comparison? That would be great.
>
> Good idea!  I'll try that soon.

I look forward to hearing and seeing your results.

Being that you will eventually have two digital representations of the
same audio event (assuming you can use both the audio and USB outputs
at the same time) I wonder what sort of digital comparison could be
run on the two files? I assume there's likely to be some time shift
between the two, but I wonder if there is value in some sort of
frequency response graphs, etc.?

Cheers,
Mark