Re: [LAU] Delta 44 on recent motherboard

From: David Causse <nomoa@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 06 2011 - 19:47:05 EEST

Le 06/05/2011 11:21, alex tinsley a écrit :
> Even though the P67 and H67 do not support the PCI bus natively, PCI
> is accessd through a PCI - PCI-e Bridge. If you look at page 8 in the
> manual you'll see there's a little bridge chip between the south
> bridge and the PCI slots. PCI slots have been running through these
> bridge chips for a while now, this doesn't appear to be the issue.
>
> It appears as though some of the settings are getting changed but
> audio isn't passing, it may be possible that there are other on-board
> devices bound to the PCI slot where the Delta 44 card is plugged into.
> There may be 16 IRQ's however as indicated on page 11 of the manual
> there are more than 16 devices on that motherboard, so the system will
> share devices on the same IRQ. I would suggest disabling devices that
> are bound to the PCI slot in the BIOS to see if that frees up enough
> bandwidth for the card to operate. Unfortunately Gigabyte does not
> include an IRQ sharing matrix like ASUS does, however if you refer
> back to page 8 to the block diagram you can see on the left side of
> the diagram which devices are sharing with the PCI slots.
>
> There you will see a single line for a PCI Express bus, dropping down
> to the bottom is the ITE Bridge chip which goes to the PCI slots,
> however on the same line dropping down you'll see the Network
> Controller is on there and on the top of that line are all the other
> PCI-e slots except for the primary PCI-e x16 slot which is running off
> of the NorthBridge. At this point you'll need to do some
> experimentation with pulling any other cards you have in your system
> that is not the primary graphics controller. If you're running dual
> graphics cards, try removing one out of the second PCI-e x16 slot to
> see if that changes anything.Also if you have any PCI-e x4 or x1 cards
> you should remove them just to see if that helps to narrow your search.
>
> Also, typically USB ports are also bound to PCI slots for power
> management. If you have something plugged into the USB ports that take
> up a lot bandwidth (ie hard drives, cameras, scanners) these will
> cause a card like the Delta 44 to malfunction. Try toggling settings
> on and off to see if that changes the behavior of the Delta card.
>
> Why is this all necessary? The Delta 44 was developed back in 1999!!
> before all this newer technology came out that surrounds it. The Delta
> is a bus mastering card which requires full bandwidth of the slot,
> anything that takes away from that requirement will cause the card to
> not operate properly, so it doesn't play well with power management
> schemes.
>
> Also this motherboard has a ton of features for power management,
> consider turning that off too temporarily to see if that changes the
> situation too.
>
> It also doesn't hurt to see if Gigabyte has an updated BIOS release
> providing improved PCI performance.
>
> Try that and see if anything improves.

Hi Alex,

many thanks for the reply (I reply to the ml because your post is very
informative).
Unfortunately I wasn't able to activate the card, I tried nearly
everything at BIOS level, tried also some kernel parameters (nomsi,
noacpi) but all without any success...
I'm a bit tired, too much time lost...
I give up, I don't know what else I could do.

Regards,

David.