Re: [LAU] [Ardour] Offline export with OSC

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 10 2011 - 16:28:04 EEST

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 03:04:22PM +0200, Aurelien wrote:
.
> Then, I would have one question: why can I come to different results for
> several exports of the same session?
> I mean, I already had cases in which my master finally end up to +1.0
> dB, and the export after to -0.1dB (without changing anything), and so on.
> I'm not speaking of big differences, but enough to make it hard to
> optimize my dynamic before mastering.
> I really thought that it was linked to realtime processing, but if not,
> I'd be interested in understanding what is behind all of this.

If you export to an integer file format anything above 0dB will
be clipped.

OTOH, if the export includes resampling then the peaks in the
exported file will be higher than those at the output of the
master strip. The difference will be small in most cases, but
in theory it is unbounded. Better keep a dB or so of headroom.

Ciao,

--
FA