Re: [LAU] Some heavy stuff and some weird stuff made with linux

From: Jostein Chr. Andersen <jostein@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 18 2011 - 12:42:18 EEST

On Wednesday 18 May 2011 10.31.21 Arve Barsnes wrote:
> Heh, weird that, I actually used a pop-filter on that (I'm guessing
> you're talking about the talking part), but I guess my pop-filter
> isn't very good, or the guy must have been pronouncing the stuff too
> hard. I did remove the worst pops with some gain reduction, but of
> course you can still hear them. Hoping most people are too distracted
> by the weird sentence to actually notice, haha :P Any tips for fixing
> the recording as it is? I'll have to try and fix that sometime.

For a start: -You will probably begin with a HPF and grind away some (more)
bass/low mid from both the acc guitar and especially the voice (steep curve
possible 18dB and at least 50-60 Hz for a starter). The voice will loose some
bottom, but that does not matter when it's i a mix, it will also be clearer.
When sounding together, the low end of the pops and the bottom in the guitar
makes bad synergy effects, muddying up the sound like it is now. So HPF alone
will probably make a big difference. Make sure that if you are using a
compressor, it should come after the HPF

When that is done and if it's still more to do, you might even try to use a
deesser or a multiband compressor on the remaining pop. A deesser can do much
more that taming esses and Beside of voice, I use for example deessing for
removing unwanted glitches and finger noise from guitars if they are to
annoying. The plugin you will use is TAP DeEsser and yo have to experiment
with it. Let's hope you don't need it :-)

Good luck!

Jostein