Re: [LAU] Just a reminder

From: <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 18 2011 - 13:31:33 EEST

> Am 18.05.2011 05:59, schrieb Rob:
>>> SoundCloud allows you to put a license on your tracks. CC licenses are
>>> legally valid so if SoundCloud would use any CC BY NC SA licensed track
>>> for commercial purposes they have a problem.
>>
>> Most likely, you're agreeing to give them those rights regardless of how
>> you might be licensing your works for other people's consumption through
>> their servers. It's a moot point, though, since their terms also
>> include
>> these:
>>
>> "USER irrevocably waives the right to assert any claim against
>> SOUNDCLOUD
>> or any of its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, successors,
>> assigns, employees, agents, directors, officers or shareholders in
>> relation
>> to the Content generated, uploaded, transmitted or otherwise used on
>> SOUNDCLOUD’s Website or Services, including, but not limited to,
>> copyright,
>> trademark, unfair competition, invasion of privacy, breach of contract
>> or
>> breach of confidentiality."
>>
>> TLDR: Even if we violate this agreement, you agree you can't sue us for
>> it.
>> Or anyone we do business with, pretty much.
>
> Thanks a lot for that explanations.
> Very helpfull :-)

On the flip side they would create a lot of bad faith by doing that so
this is just a protection against litigious elements who would seek to
bring them down by tying them up in unending court cases. Companies like
Microsoft, Avid, Oracle, etc...

Soundcloud provide an excellent service otherwise.

I support them and have even paid them money to host my tracks. A whole
$5, wow!

It would be handy if everyone who used my services gave me $5.