Re: [LAU] Off topic: building drum triggers for acoustic drums !

From: Svend-Erik K Madsen <sv-e@email-addr-hidden-e.dk>
Date: Thu May 19 2011 - 13:16:28 EEST

Den 17-05-2011 19:10, Renato skrev:
> On Tue, 17 May 2011 10:41:57 +0200
> Svend-Erik K Madsen<sv-e@email-addr-hidden-e.dk> wrote:
>
>> Hi list
>>
>> Anyone who has build drum triggers themselves ?
>>
>> I just ordered some piezo transducers to build my own triggers, but
>> your experiences is most welcome regarding material used to
>> encapsulate transducers, rubber, foam rubber, how thick the size, and
>> so on.
>>
>> I planned to build it up on some angel bracket inside the drum shell
>> and mount it on a lug screw so that the trigger will be placed
>> underneath the drumhead near the rim, don't know if thats good or
>> bad, and if a rim shoot would trigger too, of cause I don't want that
>> to happen on my snare, for which I plan to build a separate rim shoot
>> trigger too.
>>
>> Hope someone will share their experiences :)
>>

>> /Sv-e
>> _____
> Hi, there is this open source project called megadrum
> http://www.megadrum.info/
> which gives you schematics and instructions to build a drum machine,
> i.e. something you feed triggers into and which outputs MIDI. You can
> even order kits or preassembled units.
>
> I know it's not exactly what you were asking for but since Arduino came
> in the discussion (which would, I suppose, have the same role as the
> megadrum in such a project) you might want to look into it. I'm
> definitely no expert but I think making the megadrum, although more
> laborious, would have it's advantages over using an arduino. Well,
> actually I even tried building such a thing with arduino some time ago,
> and certainly I can tell you that it's not that easy to accurately
> detect how hard you hit the piezo; the megadrum supposedly does this
> good. Also the megadrum seems to have quite a community.
>
> Maybe on the site you can even find some info on
> building/clamping/placing your own triggers.
>
> BTW there's a similar project called edrum
> http://www.edrum.info/
> I wouldn't be able to tell you the differences though
>
> HTH
> renato
Hi

I must admit that I've jumped out in Arduino, and this kinda kit:
http://microdrum.altervista.org/blog/info/

I think it looks exciting and lots of fun.

BTW. I already succeeded building a trigger with an angel bracket, a
piece of rubber-foam "20x30x70 mm", a 27mm piezo transducer and a bit of
glue, and mounted it inside a drum shell, with full contact to a mesh-head.

It generates sound when connected to my sound card's preamp, so I assume
it will do okay for the project.

/Sv-e